A World-Class Clean Energy Group
To construct the Three Gorges Project and develop the Yangtze River, the China Three Gorges Project Corporation was founded on September 27, 1993, with the approval of the State Council. On September 27, 2009, it was renamed the China Three Gorges Corporation (CTG). CTG positions itself as a clean energy group focusing on large-scale hydropower development and operation. Its main businesses cover the construction, international investment and contracting, development of wind power and solar energy among other renewable energies, comprehensive development and utilization of water resources, as well as providing relevant professional technical services. After more than 20 years of rapid growth, CTG has become the largest hydropower development enterprise worldwide and the biggest clean energy group in China.
- An Integrated Business Model
By the end of 2016, CTG’s consolidated installed capacity had reached approximately 70,000 MW, and the total installed capacity, including capacities that were commissioned, under construction, and on a minority-equity basis, had reached 118 GW. Specifically, renewable clean energy accounts for 97% of the total mix, while consolidated hydropower capacity represents 16% of the total installed capacity of hydro in China. By the end of 2016, the assets of the corporation had reached RMB 660 billion, and it ranked high among all SOEs in terms of total profit, net profit attributable to the parent company, ratio of profits to cost, overall labor productivity, per capita profit, and per capita profit and tax.
- A Global Developer
CTG assumed overall responsibility for the construction and operation of the Three Gorges Project. After 2 decades of handwork, the preliminary design and construction work of the Project was completed as scheduled in 2009.The trial operation of the ship lift began in September 2016. Upon authorization of the State, CTG developed, constructed and operated cascade hydropower stations on the lower reaches of Jinsha River, composed of four world-class large hydropower stations (i.e. Xiluodu, Xiangjiaba, Wudongde and Baihetan). CTG also focused its efforts on wind power, solar power, and other new energy sources as its second principal business, and strived to lead the development of offshore wind farms. In addition, CTG kept in step with the «Belt and Road» initiative and actively upgraded the «going global» plan of the Chinese hydropower industry. As yet, CTG’s overseas investment and contracting business has expanded to over 40 countries and regions in Europe, America, Africa and Southeast Asia, with a total installed capacity of over 15 GW. Overseas business has offered a major impetus for the sustainable growth of CTG.
- Promoting Sustainability
During the development and construction process of hydropower plants, CTG upheld the principle of «building a power station to stimulate the local economy, improve the local environment, and benefit the resettled residents» based on innovation, coordination, green development, opening-up, and sharing. As a central SOE, CTG fulfilled all due social responsibilities. In addition to flood control, water resource preservation, energy saving, emission reduction and other ecological benefits that can be expected out of a cascade development, CTG pursed social and economic benefits as well through engineering or technical measures and scientific regulation. Besides, CTG maintained an active presence in the fields of targeted poverty alleviation, and provided assistance to Xinjiang and Tibet, among others. CTG also coordinated hydropower development with efforts to provide material benefits to resettled local populations, protect the ecological environment, and promote local economic and social progress, so as to share the achievements of reform and development with a larger population.
Prof. Liangyou Wang
Senior Engineer of China Three Gorges Project Corporation
Vice manager of China Three Gorges Project Corporation
- Wang Liangyou developed the global typhoon-resistant offshore floating wind turbine and foundation platform, the offshore wind power flexible DC transmission system with the highest voltage level and largest transmission capacity, and the largest single 10 MW offshore wind turbine technology in the Asia-Pacific region and offshore wind turbine supporting structure and foundation technology under complex environmental conditions, forming the world-class offshore wind power technology system, which has been comprehensively applied in engineering demonstration projects and filled a number of technical gaps in the engineering design of Chinese offshore wind power, equipment development and other aspects, with significant benefits.
- Wang Liangyou explored the high quality and flexible power generation technology for the new power system, pioneered the intelligent centralized control and operation & maintenance for the megawatt-level wind-solar storage station, implemented the load storage technology of the park-level power network, laid out a variety of new energy storage technologies such as compressed air, flywheel, solid state, sodium ion, water-based batteries, etc. These technical achievements have been fully demonstrated and applied, filling the technical gaps in China’s multi-source collaborative and efficient utilization of wind-solar storage and diversified applications of new energy storage, with significant benefits.
- Wang Liangyou presided over the scientific and technological innovation of CTG, which generates a series of innovative achievements, such as «Intelligent Dam», «Megawatt Unit», «Three Gorges Leader», «10 MW Offshore Wind Turbine», etc., promoting the localization and high-end of major equipment. From 2019 to 2021, CTG has received 3 national science and technology awards (including 1 special award) and 74 provincial and industrial science and technology awards; 16 international patents and 1857 valid domestic patents, including 216 invention patents; Mr. Wang has participated in the preparation of 155 national and industrial standards, 7 international standards and 190 enterprise technical standards. CTG was awarded the title of 2019-2021 «Enterprise with Outstanding Contribution to Science and Technology Innovation» as the central government-owned enterprise.
- In the field of ultra-large-scale AC/DC grid technology, he organized the research and development in the field of industry, academia, research and application, and made significant technological breakthroughs in the intrinsic mechanism of the safety and stability of the parallel AC/DC grid, wide-area control, security defense, multi-objective optimal scheduling, and real-time digital simulation of the full electromagnetic transient state to fulfill the West-to-East Power Transmission Project, and formed a technology system to guarantee the safe, economic and environmental protection of the parallel large-scale AC/DC grid. The technology system has been successfully applied in the West-to-East Power Transmission Project to support the construction and safe and economic operation of the «eight AC/DC parallel power grids» with a transmission capacity of over 38 million kilowatts. These achievements won the Second Prize of 2017 National Science and Technology Progress Award.
- In the field of UHV DC transmission, Wang Liangyou organized the “Key Technology Research and Key Equipment Development of ±800kV UHV DC Transmission» project under the National Science and Technology Support Program of the Eleventh Five-Year Plan, overcoming world-class problems in external insulation, overvoltage and insulation coordination, electromagnetic environment, equipment development, and safe and stable system control. He proposed the scheme of ±800kV UHV DC insulation fitting and external insulation configuration; put forward the dual-valve balanced main wiring topology in series; developed the first complete set of UHV DC equipment for successful industrialization; successfully solved the safety and stability of high-capacity UHV DC access system; built the world-class UHV DC transmission test platform and national engineering laboratory, and formed the first UHV DC technology system. These achievements support the construction and operation of the world’s first UHV DC transmission project — Yunnan-Guangdong UHV DC transmission project, and have won the Grand Prize of 2017 National Science and Technology Progress Award.
- Wang Liangyou has won 2 Special Prize of National Science and Technology Progress Award, 1 Second Prize National Science and Technology Progress Award, and presided over 2 national and group level projects, published 10 papers and granted 1 patent.